AddThis Social Bookmark Button

A "dog blog" about all breeds and issues of importance to people who value the dogs in their lives, with a special emphasis on Search and Rescue dogs, in particular the training of my Newfoundland Dogs

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

MOM got the Newf page back up again!!

it's me again...Phoenix. Mom has been working on the Newf web pages and finally is starting to get 'em back up again...you can check 'em out by clicking on the title. Anyhoo.....I got to go for a "blind search" the other day, at least that's what mom calls it. She put me in the car, (actually I jumped in) and we went somewhere where there was a road. I got out with mom and walked down the road with her. she stopped me after awhile and put on my collar. The one that makes a noise, she calls it the bell collar. Right after that I smelled someone. I ran through the grass and I found a kid in the grass!! boy this searching thing is really fun!The only thing though is that when I can't find the person sometimes I have to run BESIDE the wind and lift my head up and smell, usujally I can find 'em again.

If you want to learn about all kinds of dog stuff you can learn it here: "PETS" and you can learn other stuff too!

  • this is a really cool place


  • Some information about the noses of dogs and their sense of smell:

    The Canine olfactory sense (sense of smell) is without doubt so far superior to that of man as to be beyond imagination. It could be like comparing a bunaglow to a skyscraper, there simply is no comparison.

    Depending on the dog and the size of the dog’s muzzle, there can be more than 200 milliion olfactory cells. Mankind has only 5 million. So the first thing that determines the precision of a dog’s sense of smell is the numbers of olfactory cells that the particular dog has. Some researrch has been done which has led to the discovery that not all dog’s noses are the same. It is now known that dogs with smaller noses do not have the same numbers of receptive cells as dogs with longer noses.

    Although it is of course impossible for mere human beings to understand exactly what dog is thinking or smelling, another factor which probably is equally important is the dog’s ability to discern between smells. In the sazme way that we humans use our eyes combined with our brains to tell us about the world around us, dogs use their noses combined with what their brains have discovered about the sense of smell. It comes with practice and learning about the world, the same way humanbabies learn about the world with their eyes and their sense of touch...dog babies learn from the beginning what different smells in the world mean..they "read" the world with their sense of smell.



    by Kathy Reed


    to learn more about general information about dogs
  • you can also click here
  • No comments: