AddThis Social Bookmark Button

A "dog blog" about all breeds and issues of importance to people who value the dogs in their lives, with a special emphasis on Search and Rescue dogs, in particular the training of my Newfoundland Dogs

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Summer Bummer

The Dog Days of summer
The flea and tick season is in full force. Many of my friends use that chemical, I will not mention the name......that is advertised widely...........that horribly smelly stuff that goes on the back of the dog....
I always wonder when something that I put on the skin of my dog is SUPPOSED to migrate to its bloodstream........
I on the other hand am suspicious of such man made chemicals. And I use another kind of "smelly stuff" that is "natural" ?? (one can always question this, too) ....and very very stinky, smelling strongly of citronella ...but every other day I rub it into the heads of my black furry friends. They slobber and goober and affectionately sling their slime on me while I do this so even if there is no benefit resulting in dead bugs, there is always the joy of the moment.......... And I also use the good old-fashioned flea collar. don't know if the chemicals are just as nasty or not. But it doesn't smell so strong. And seems to work! I went out in the woods with my dog, came back with 15 ticks on me and none on my dog!

we shall see......

if I find too many of the little ticks I shall have to switch to even stronger remedies such as diatom dust rubbed into the fur...but I shall refrain for awhile . I still will stay away as long as I can from the widely advertised "stuff" that costs a fortune and builds new labratories for the pharmaceutical industries.

I have already contributed enough to my vet to build a new wing.

***for further information about healthy flea and tick products visit:
http://www.kaylar.com/dogdigs


FOR CHRISTMAS IN JULY.....CLICK ON THE TITLE OF THIS BLOG AND SEE THE SWEATSHIRTS ON SALE NOW AT DOGDAZE

No comments: