AddThis Social Bookmark Button

A "dog blog" about all breeds and issues of importance to people who value the dogs in their lives, with a special emphasis on Search and Rescue dogs, in particular the training of my Newfoundland Dogs

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Old dogs and Cold dogs

It’s cold outside...are you taking care of the problem right?

I came across a really great idea for that LITTLE dog that just can’t stand the cold. Or the apartment dog that lives six stories up and can’t wait to go down the elevator. It’s rather like a litterbox but it is intended for dogs. You can see one here:

Wizdog



Meanwhile, for the bigger dogs, it is time to consider that as they age they really CAN’T stay outside. Please, even if they are “outdoor” dogs and have been out most of their lives, it is time to bring the oldsters in, to enjoy life next to the hearth on those cold winter nights. You would be surprised how easily they adjust and since most of them have always gone potty outside, they will let you know and willingly go outside to do their business...seldom if ever unless they are just too old to handle holding it..will they go in a house. It is foreign to their concept of going potty !

Another thing to remember is that older dogs often get arthritic. You can check out the aupplements that are available at several different places. One of the most effective may be the nutritional supplement The Missing Link Canine Plus Joint Support Formula which can be found at 1-800-PetMeds

I have a back yard fence connected right to my back door so that I can let my dogs in or out right through the back door. It is dark at night. I have found that the Christmas lighting decorations are awfully handy for lighting up the area for my older dogs, who have more difficulty seeing at night...This year I got 30 star shaped lights, the little lights on a string, for (believe it or not! ) 5o cents at a garage sale! Soon I will be putting them up with zip ties all over the fence....like lighted snowflakes. I think I will like them so well I may keep em up all year!

f

For more information on protecting your dogs against the cold weather check out the Dogdigs




Talk to ya again soon....

No comments: