AddThis Social Bookmark Button

A "dog blog" about all breeds and issues of importance to people who value the dogs in their lives, with a special emphasis on Search and Rescue dogs, in particular the training of my Newfoundland Dogs

Thursday, June 12, 2008

"Comfort Food" for my doggies


The weather has been terribly stormy. This morning Jenna went and hid in the closet, she is getting a bit nervous in her old age when it comes to thunderstorms. Zoey the rat terrier followed me around trying to hide in corners in every room I went to, wouldn't let me out of her sight. Phoenix didn't care one way or the other, she even asked to go out in the middle of the lightning and thunder, but she turned around and came right back in.
I of course am hungry when I get up....and decided it was time to go about fixing breakfast. This is the only thing that brings Jenna out of the closet ... when I start to cook she forgets about the storm. And today I cooked one of my favorites, I had left over creamed asparagus from supper last night, so I toasted a couple pieces of toast and poured the re-heated creamed asparagus over the top of the toast and heartily munched down my breakfast. Jenna and Phoenix and Zoey watched, the thunderstorm forgotten.
As soon as they could hear the fork scraping up the last of the food on the plate, they all stood up and anxiously waited, eying me to see what my next move would be. I made a big deal of it...folding my napkin, taking a last sip of juice, slowly getting pushed back from the table. The dogs "stood to attention" and watched every move. As I stood up they jostled for position.
Jenna is the oldest. She gets to lick the plate first. It helps to put Phoenix in her place, she has to wait while Jenna gets the first lick. Jenna licks slowly and carefully. I only let her lick a small area of the plate. Then it is "Feeny's" turn. She practically gulps the whole plate! But I only let her have a "bit" also. Then Zoey, the little rat terrier. I have to hold the plate clear down close to the floor for her. She savors the taste and delicately licks the plate, then just as delicately licks her chops.
And the ritual is over, and the dogs have forgotten the thunderstorm, they have had their "comfort food"..a lick off the plate after mom is done eating. (the photo shows Phoenix awaiting her turn at the table) Click on the title to this blog and you can go see how to make "Creamed Asparagus on Toast"

Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments: